The board of education recognizes that the superintendent is the executive officer of the board of education and the administrative head of the technology center. The superintendent must hold an administrator’s certificate recognized by the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education. If the superintendent is employed for the first time in Oklahoma, he or she must attend training seminars as required by the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education. The following duties have been established for the office of the superintendent:
1. The superintendent is the executive officer of the board and the leader of the educational forces of the community. The board shall seek the superintendent’s recommendation on technology center matters.
2. The superintendent shall attend the meetings of the board (except when his/her employment is being considered) and advise the board on all technology center matters.
3. The superintendent shall make recommendations to the board of candidates for teacher and supervisory positions, as well as other employees of the technology center as the need arises. The board shall not normally employ a technology center employee against the recommendation of the superintendent. The board will direct the superintendent to make additional recommendations if necessary.
4. The superintendent shall devote him/herself to the study of educational trends, keep the board informed on conditions of the campuses/sites of the technology center, and present recommendations for the determination of policy. The superintendent shall, once policies have been established, devise ways and means for their operation.
5. All purchases of supplies, materials or equipment shall be made on authority of a purchase order approved by the superintendent.
6. Responsibility for the operation and maintenance of the activity funds shall be delegated to the superintendent. The superintendent may, at his/her discretion, delegate the day to day responsibility for this task to the director of finance as long as the superintendent ensures that the accounts are appropriately maintained.
7. The superintendent shall be responsible for the administration of suspensions and student exclusions for any reason. The superintendent may, at his/her discretion, delegate the day to day responsibility for this task to the deputy superintendent as long as the superintendent ensures that this process is appropriately completed.
8. The superintendent shall be responsible for providing the ways and means for teaching the subjects, as may be designated or approved by the board of education.
9. The superintendent shall have all school accounts audited each year and a copy of the audit will be distributed to the board and filed in the superintendent’s office.
10. The superintendent shall carefully observe the methods of instruction and the discipline of instructors; suggest improvements; remedy defects in their management; advise as to the best methods of instruction and discipline; and pay special attention to the classification of students, the program of studies and the apportionment of time allotted to each of the prescribed subjects.
11. The superintendent shall secure adequate plant facilities; standardize supplies, equipment and other materials used in the technology center; and formulate standard procedures for purchasing equipment in all departments of the technology center.
12. The superintendent shall prepare a well-coordinated budget by requiring the various divisions of the technology center to participate in its development.
13. The superintendent shall have the authority to close the technology center in case of emergency.
14. The superintendent shall visit other technology centers to observe developing educational trends and to suggest appropriate means for the advancement of the technology center.
Adopted: December 18, 2014