Printable PDF Board Policy 486
The board of education recognizes and supports the right of its employees to be involved in political activities and to campaign for candidates and issues. However, the exercise of this right must not interfere with the educational process -- the delivery of educational services to the students of this technology center. Campaign activities should not be conducted by employees on scheduled duty time and employees who are on duty should not be distracted from their duties by campaign activities conducted by employees who are not on duty. The Board has determined that the following regulations are necessary to prevent such disruptions and to ensure that employees are properly performing their duties during the school day:
1. Employees may not engage in campaign activities during scheduled duty time.
2. "Campaign activities" include lobbying other employees for their support or contributions, circulating petitions, distributing literature, and planning or preparing for such activities, whether done individually or with other employees and any of which is done in regard to national, state, or local elections for offices or on referenda questions, including school board, millage levy, and bond issue elections, or in regard to elections for recognition or decertification of any employees' organization or for officers or any such organization.
3. "Scheduled duty time" means all times at which the employee is scheduled to engage in activities to fulfill his or her obligations under the employment contract, including but not limited to classroom instruction, lesson preparation, parent-teacher conferences, supervision of halls, classes and labs, or in the case of non-professional staff, their assigned duties in the administrative, food service, transportation, maintenance, or other non-educational support area.
4. Campaign activities may be conducted outside of employees' scheduled duty time only in those areas of the school facilities which are set aside for employees' use during other than scheduled duty times.
5. Employees may not direct campaign activities toward other employees who are performing scheduled duties.
6. The use of threats, duress, coercion, or intimidation in campaign activities directed at other employees is prohibited and constitutes grounds for immediate disciplinary action, including dismissal.
7. School bulletin boards and mail boxes may not be used to post or distribute campaign materials.
8. Campaign materials may not be posted on school property.
9. Violation of this policy by any employee is grounds for disciplinary action, including but not limited to dismissal.