Printable PDF Board Policy 230
In order to maintain a healthy educational and working environment, and to comply with the requirements of the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 for purposes of receiving federal assistance, the board of education adopts the following policies and regulations:
1. Use, possession, dispensing, manufacture, sale, or distribution; or conspiring to sell, distribute, or possess; or being in the chain of sale or distribution; or being under the influence of a controlled substance, alcoholic beverage, or low-point beer (as defined by Oklahoma law, i.e., 3.2 beer) in any of the technology center’s facilities, on technology center property (including vehicles), or at a technology center sponsored function or event by an employee is prohibited. Violation of this prohibition shall result in disciplinary action, which may include dismissal or nonrenewal of employment. Violations which constitute criminal acts will be referred for prosecution.
2. Employees who are engaged in the performance of work under the terms of a federal grant must, as a condition of their employment, notify a technology center administrator in writing of any drug conviction (including a plea of nolo contendere) for a violation of a criminal drug statute which occurred at a technology center workplace within five calendar days after the conviction. The conviction shall result in dismissal or nonrenewal, or a requirement that the employee satisfactorily participate in a drug abuse assistance or rehabilitation program approved by a federal, state, or local health, law enforcement or other appropriate agency.
3. The conviction shall be reported in writing by the technology center’s grant administrator to the relevant federal granting agency within 10 calendar days of the notification by the employee or other actual notice of the conviction.
4. This policy statement shall be included in the technology center’s employee manual, and shall be distributed to all employees at the commencement of each school year.
5. The employee in-service training period prior to the commencement of each school year shall include a review and discussion of the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse in the workplace, the technology center’s policy for a drug and alcohol free workplace, the penalties for violating the policy, and available sources of information, counseling, rehabilitation, and re-entry programs regarding drug and alcohol use.
Reference: Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988