Any student who is determined to have:
· brought a weapon to a school under the jurisdiction of the district; or
· possessed a weapon within two thousand (2,000) feet of public-school property; or
· possessed a weapon at a school event shall be suspended out of school for a period of not less than one calendar year. This policy does not apply to students who are members of the JROTC and who possess or bring an inoperable weapon to school for participation in a school program, provided the student obtained prior permission from the program director, the weapon remains inoperable while at school and the weapon is used consistent with the permission granted.
Any out-of-school suspension imposed under this policy may be modified for any student on a case-by-case basis by the superintendent of the technology center.
For the purposes of this policy, the following definitions shall control:
· The term "weapon" means a firearm as such term is defined in Section 921 of Title 18 of the United States Code.
· The term "determined to have brought a weapon to a school under the jurisdiction of the district" means any student being in possession or control of a weapon on property owned, leased or rented by the technology center, including, but not limited to, school buildings, parking lots and motor vehicles and any student who is in possession or control of a weapon at any technology center sponsored function regardless of whether such function is conducted on technology center property.
Enforcement of this policy shall be consistent with state and federal laws dealing with discipline of students with disabilities.
Students who violate this policy will be referred to the appropriate criminal justice or juvenile delinquency system. Any firearm seized from a student by any technology center employee shall immediately be delivered to a law enforcement authority for disposition pursuant to applicable law.
Any out-of-school suspension initiated pursuant to this policy shall be subject to the procedural safeguards set forth in the technology center’s policy for the out-of-school suspension of students.
Consistent with Oklahoma law, for an out-of-school suspension under his policy, no education plan shall be implemented during the term of the suspension. This policy does not apply to student suspensions for non-weapon violations.
Reference: OKLA. STAT. tit. 70§ 24-101.3